US ATLAS Analysis Support Center at BNL
The mission of the Analysis Support Centers (ASC) is to support the U.S. ATLAS detector performance and physics analysis activities. These centers are expected to provide U.S. ATLAS physicists with training on how to use ATLAS software via tutorials and one-on-one interaction. The ASCs are also expected to support physicists making visits for help with their analysis and/or more advanced software features. It is anticipated that the ASCs are home to a community of users making occasional visits and contributing to the intellectual vitality of the centers. The ASCs play an active role to ensure that U.S. ATLAS physicists effectively participate in the overall ATLAS working groups.
The support at the BNL ASC is provided by the ATLAS groups in the Physics Department
at Brookhaven National Lab
, in connection with the regional groups in the US Northeast.
US physicists are encouraged to contact the personell for any analysis needs, as well as to make use of the facilities at BNL.
Next Meeting at BNL
US ATLAS Hadronic Final State Forum: https://indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=275238
Visitors who already hold a valid BNL Guest Badge may come on site without notification to the main gate. Visitors who already have approved guest appointments, but do not have a Guest Badge will have to notify the BNL main gate of their arrival by checking in here
. US citizens without a guest appointment are allowed on site, but we must know the dates of your visit so that the main gate can be notified.
All others must apply for the BNL guest appointment by completing the Brookhaven's Guest Registration Form
well in advance of the meeting. You will be notified when the guest appointment is approved. When you arrive at BNL with the approved guest appointment for the first time, you must stop at the security office by the main entrance where you will be issued a temporary pass, then proceed to the RHIC/AGS Users' Office
to complete the check-in
NON-US citizens without BNL guest appointment should complete the BNL Guest Registration form as soon as possible, since it takes additional time for the approval process, especially for people from "sensitive" countries.
Please also note that obtaining a BNL computer account at USATLAS Tier-1 requires an approved guest appointment (irrespective of citizenship).
BNL Visitor information is http://www.bnl.gov/visiting/ .
A guide to some of the options are listed on the DiningNearBNL page.
On-site housing in the BNL dorms is available (approx. $42/night). Summer housing is always tight, so we encourage you to reserve early.
There are also on-site guest houses available at approximately $105 per night.
For details, see BNL onsite housing webpage http://www.bnl.gov/staffservices/onsitehousing.php .
On-site housing is in high demand in the summer, please make the reservation early.
For reservation, please contact the house office directly.
Staying in BNL on site housing requires a guest appointment regardless of citizenship.
BNL on-site housing for non-US citizens can only be confirmed after the guest appointment is approved.
For off-site housing, we suggest ( the rate may not be up to date. Check both discount rate and special BNL rate).
- Hampton Inn
2000 North Ocean Avenue
Phone : +1-631-732-7300
Directions : East on the Long Island Express, Exit 63 North
- Springhill Suites by Marriott
2 Sawgrass Dr
- more information on BNL housing webpage
We assume everyone will bring a laptop to work on, and everyone has a BNL computer account at the Tier-1. See https://www.racf.bnl.gov/experiments/usatlas/getstarted/useraccounts for getting new accounts.
Network connections, Wireless
All computers connected to BNL network need to be registered with the BNL ITD. When you first connect to the network, your web browser will be connected to a page to register your computer. Enter the appropriate information on the page (your Guest number is needed), re-start the network connection, you will then be connected.
The physics building has visitor wireless network. The name of the wireless access point is Corus. A few wired connections (inside firewall) are available in rooms 2-84 and 1-105. You need to set http proxy in the web browser after registration, for both wired connections, see i http://www.bnl.gov/cybersecurity/www.asp for instructions.
If you enable X11 on your laptop, please make sure the usual vulnerability is closed. See details here http://www.phy.bnl.gov/computing/index.php/Computer_Insecurity.
Tier-1 computer account.
If you have not logged onto your BNL account lately, you should be aware that using ssh private key is required. Follow this link
During Jamborees, we ask for additional interactive nodes be made available. They are included in the pool of the interactive machines, so using "rterm" is sufficient.
Printing from the ACF farm
On the acas farm, if you want to print, you should log on to atlas00.usatlas.bnl.gov. The printer queue is atlasdc, and the command is
lpr -Patlasdc filename
Either text file or ps file can be printed. The printer is the large Xerox machine (also a copier) in the printer/mail room (1-81) at the end of the Omega Group hallway.
Printing from laptop on the wireless network
The same Xerox printer, atlasdc, as well as a HP printer atlashp, both in room 1-81, can be reached through a CUPS server. There is another HP printer in room 1-105 (next to the coffee lounge) for wireless access only.
To print from your laptop, you need to set up a printer queue on your laptop.
- For windows, Goto Control Panel==> Printer and Fax ==> Add a Printer ==> A network printer ==> connect to a printer on internet, and use these url
- For Xerox printer, http://cups:631/printers/atlasdc.phy.bnl.gov, select the driver for Xerox Docment Centre 432.
- For HP printer in room 1-81, http://cups:631/printers/atlashp, select the driver for HP Color LaserJet? 3800.
- For HP printer in room 1-105, http://cups:631/printers/phyconfrm.phy.bnl.gov, select the driver for HP Laser Jet 4100 series
- For Mac OS X, Goto System Preferences==> Print and Fax ==> "+" to Add a Printer, click on "IP", ==> Protocol: Internet Printing Protocol - IPP==> Address: cups:631 ==> Queue:
- For Xerox printer, Queue: /printers/atlasdc.phy.bnl.gov, select the driver for Xerox Documentation Center 400 or Generic Postscript Printer
- For HP printer in room 1-81, Queue: /printers/atlashp , select the driver for HP Color LaserJet? 3800 or Generic Postscript Printer
- For HP printer in room 1-105, Queue: /printers/phyconfrm.phy.bnl.gov , select the driver for HP Laser Jet 4240 series
- For Fedora, System==>Administration==>Printing (or system-config-printer as root). Use New to add a printer; put in the queue name, select a queue type of "Networked CUPS (IPP)", server cups, and the additional parameters:
- For Xerox printer: queue: /printers/atlasdc.phy.bnl.gov, model: manufacturer Xerox, Document Center 400 (or just use generic postscript)
- For HP printer in room 1-81: queue: /printers/atlashp, model: use generic postscript. (The HP-specific setting may not work.)
- For HP printer in room 1-105: queue: /printers/phyconfrm.phy.bnl.gov, model: use generic postscript. (The HP-specific setting may not work.)
- You should be able to figure it out for other Linux distributions from the above!
Past BNL Analysis Support Center Activities
- AnalysisJamboree2006: Two analysis jamborees are organized in the summer of 2006.
- BsmJamboree2006: Analysis Jamboree on Beyond the Standard Model CSC Notes
- BnlJamboreeMay2007: Analysis Jamboree, May 14-18, 2007
- BnlJamboreeAug2007: Trigger Analysis Jamboree, Aug 6-10, 2007
- BnlJamboreeDec2007: Analysis Jamboree, Dec 17-19, 2007
- BnlJamboreeMar2008: Analysis Jamboree, March 17-20, 2008
- BnlJamboreeJune2008: FDR2 Jamboree, June 24-27, 2008
- ASCJamboreeSept2008: Three way jamboree with ANL, and LBNL, Sept 9-12, 2008
- BNLJamboreeDec2008: Analysis Jamboree Dec 15-18, 2008
- Analysis Jamboree, Mar 2009, http://indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=51566
- Analysis Jamboree, Jun 2009, http://indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=58042
- Analysis Jamboree, Nov 2009, http://indicobeta.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=68573
- Analysis Jamboree, Feb 2010, http://indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=76739
- Analysis Jamboree, July 2010, http://indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=95501
- Analysis Jamboree, Jan 2011 http://indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=112582
- Higgs Forum Meeting, May 2011 https://indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=130927
- Analysis Jamboree (diboson), Oct 2011 https://indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=154498
- Analysis Jamboree (diboson), Feb 2012, https://indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=172364
- BNL Workshop on SUSY with 5/fb at the LHC, May 2012, https://indico.bnl.gov/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=481
- Analysis Jamboree (diboson VBF/VBS), Nov 2012, https://indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=204121
- Analysis Jamboree (diboson VBF/VBS), July 2013, https://indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=255992
-- HongMa - 02 Aug 2006
About This Site
Please note that this site is a content mirror of the BNL US ATLAS TWiki. To edit the content of this page, click the Edit this page button at the top of the page and log in with your US ATLAS computing account name and password.
(261.2K) | HongMa
, 08 Sep 2008 - 21:16 |