r2 - 29 Oct 2008 - 11:32:42 - RobertGardnerYou are here: TWiki >  Admins Web > LFCMeetOct29



  • Meeting of the sub-committee to address LFC migration in the US cloud.
  • Coordinates:
    • Wednesday, Oct 22, 10am Central/5pm CERN
    • new phone (309) 946-5300, Access code: 735188; Dial *6 to mute/un-mute.
  • Background: SubCommitteeLFC, FileCatalog
  • Attending: Patrick, John, Shawn, Charles, Rob, Karthik, Hiro
  • Apologies:

LFC launch schedule

Oct 1  - LFC subcommittee  meeting to discuss launch
            plan (changes needed in all services and tools
            to switch a site) and resolve any voms
            group/role issues, etc
Oct 7 - AGLT2 : main burn in and validation on a single site...
followed by the rest of the sites:
Oct 14  - UC, UTA
Oct 16 - IU, BU
Oct 20 -  BU, SLAC
Oct 21  - OU, BNL
Oct 23 - WISC

LFC launching at AGLT2

  • Status/news
  • Fully migrated to space tokens, LFC - all done.
  • Minor configuration things needed fixing, though done. New storage coming online.

LFC launch at UC

  • Status/news
  • All done.
  • LFC logging is very verbose. Can this be turned down?
  • Had one episode of LFC shutting down.
  • In the config file, there is a core dump option - recommend setting this, for troubleshooting/forensics.

LFC launch at IU

  • Status/news
  • All done.


  • All ready to switch to LFC.
  • Proddisk still not quite finished. Paul has made progress this morning - hopefully fixed for good. Otherwise ready go.


  • last week*
    • Ready to get started.
    • Have been busy getting space tokens straight. Trying to use USERDISK today.
    • Later this afternoon will start.
  • Converting the LRC to LFC.
  • Had shut down last week to start this - but other events at UTA intervened.
  • Q: want new files to be owned by atlas/role=production. Need to get into the VOMS. Send email to John Hover and Alessandro.


  • last week
    • No major updates - data migration a few times, working.
    • Plan on next week when Horst return.
  • Ready to go now. Question about whether space tokens are required first. Not strictly necessary. Need to do Bestman migration.


  • Not here.

LFC-based data management tools (Patrick, Charles)

  • last week
    • Integrity check needs to be modified for GPFS back ends (Posix).
    • Deletion tools require BDII - but we've not accepted this as accepted service in US ATLAS, so we'll need to program around it. Charles will be in contact with Stephane.
  • Already working for dCache.
  • Should re-work to default as Posix. Charles will merge changes, John will test.

Pilot progress (Paul)

  • Marco thinks this is in place. Patrick will try this out at UTA.
  • At BU, using lcg-cp. In future would like to use Posix cp, but there may be problems with space tokens; however John doesn't think this would be a problem.

Space reporting

  • last week
    • Old http interface to LRC also reports space, which the pilot uses.
    • Needs to keep running to report space usage, for the moment; move
  • Sites are responsible for gathering the information on a schedule using cron. Then use a curl command that updates the Panda database. Charles will email the specifics.

URL's in the Catalog

  • last week
    • Discussing issue of full URLs in the catalog. Easier to service.
    • However, how to avoid truncation when registering files. lcg-rf registers the short version. Paul is using lfc-createg, lfc-addreplica.
    • Paul will send example - work with Marco to get full URL in the catalog
  • Marco: pilot is python api's, and is using long url. DQ2 is using short url, FTS too. So we have a mixed situation. lfc.py in DQ2 is truncating the information.


  • Goal: to be all done with this by next week.

-- RobertGardner - 28 Oct 2008

About This Site

Please note that this site is a content mirror of the BNL US ATLAS TWiki. To edit the content of this page, click the Edit this page button at the top of the page and log in with your US ATLAS computing account name and password.


Powered by TWiki
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback