r3 - 06 Jun 2011 - 14:49:36 - RichardMountYou are here: TWiki >  AtlasSoftware Web > Minutes6May2011

Minutes6May2011 RAC Minutes, May 6, 2011

Members (*=present, #=apologies)

*Richard Mount, Jim Cochran (Analysis Support Group Chair), Alexei Klimentov (ATLAS ADC), Ian Hinchliffe (Physics Advisor), Rik Yoshida (Analysis Support Group Deputy), *Michael Ernst (U.S. Facilities Manager), *Rob Gardner (Integration Coordinator), *Kaushik De, (U.S. Operations Manager), *Armen Vartapetian (U.S. Operations Deputy)

Ex-Officio: #Torre Wenaus, Stephane Willocq, Mike Tuts, Howard Gordon

US ATLAS *Saul Youssef

Approval or Correction of Minutes

The minutes of March 25 were approved

Operations Report (Kaushik)


Smooth running for the past week. MC11 has not started yet - could be ready very soon and will take several months. Now running MC10 reprocessing. About to enter a phase of full use of production resources.


Analysis resources are underused right now, but unused capacity is available for production. Analysis slowed down in October/November last year, was flat until January/February 2011, and then fell again. Analysis is now at ~40% of the maximum across ATLAS (in the US it is ~33%). The US used to perform better because it was the first to implement new data distribution . The new, better, data distribution balances the load evenly across ATLAS clouds, but naturally concentrates it at T1s if the load is small.

There is no need to re-balance resources by forcing more work to T2s right now.

Data Management

Everything looks fine with PD2P to T1s - no crises, lots of free space.

Current GroupDisk usage:

WT2 67TB
SWT2 130TB

Current LocalGroupDisk allocations:

MWT2 102TB (65 used)
NET2 10-15TB
WT2 10-15TB
SWT2 10-15TB

LocalGroupDisk Discussion

Kaushik: the top user uses 40% of the space. The top 7 users use 75% of the space. Twenty five users have more than 2TB. Probably allowing 2TB per user without asking questions is reasonable.

Richard: Promote usage of LocalGroupDisk to learn what policies are needed.

Michael: (Prototype) policies are needed to get started, even if they will change.

All: It would be great to have a web page summarizing how users should exploit SpaceTokens? .

Armen: Users already get automated advice by email: [e.g. sent by Armen after the meeting]:

This is a notification that due to a cleanup of the ATLASUSERDISK scratch area at US ATLAS Tier1/Tier2 sites, 
some of your datasets are going to be deleted. To see the list of those datasets, go to the page:
In the list of all users, find and click on the line with your DN (shown below).  It will bring you to the page with your datasets 
at various US sites.  The datasets to be deleted will be marked with magenta color.  Also on the very top of this page, you will 
find the link, "Deletion List in plain text", which provides the complete list of your datasets to be deleted.

The cleanup will take place on November 11th, 2009.

You are advised to save any dataset, which is still of interest, to your private storage area. You may also use your local group 
disk storage area xxx_LOCALGROUPDISK if such area has been defined.
Please contact your local T1/T2/T3 responsible of disk storage for further assistance.

If the list contains datasets of common interest to a particular physics group, please contact that group representative to move 
your datasets to xxx_ATLASGROUPDISK area.

If you are going to copy your dataset to xxx_LOCALGROUPDISK or xxx_ATLASGROUPDISK please use the Subscription Request page:
http://panda.cern.ch:25980/server/pandamon/query?mode=ddm_req If you are going to copy your dataset to any private storage area 
(not known to grid) please use dq2-get. See the link for help:

Please don't try to delete the datasets yourself.

Proposal for TRIG-DAQ group space at MWT2 (Rob)

The Chicago group (Mel Shochet ...) have asked for ~20TB for use in FTK upgrade studies for the TRIG-DAQ group. MWT2 supports the request. If an MWT2 GroupDisk allocation could be made, the Chicago group could use their T3 resources to access the T2 disk.

The RAC was in favor of this request, but creating a new GroupDisk area at MWT2 would require CREM approval. The CREM would trivially approve a US request to move TRIG-DAQ space from one US site to another (with the agreement of the TRIG-DAQ group). The request for a new GroupDisk would likely provoke more discussion. Kaushik and Richard agreed to bring the request to the CREM.



Action Items

  1. 5/6/2011: Richard: Draft a web page explaining how users should exploit the various SpaceTokens.
  2. 5/6/2011: Kaushik/Richard: Bring the request for a TRIG-DAQ GroupDisk at MWT2 to the CREM.
  3. 3/25/2011: Richard: Email US ATLAS about the availability of production and analysis resources; ask Jim/Ric why there is so little analysis activity - Ongoing.
  4. 3/25/2011: Richard: Raise the "opportunisitic use by other VOs" issue at the L2/L3 Management Meeting - Done.
  5. 3/25/2011: Richard: inquire about the status of the cavern background production and report back - Done.
  6. 9/24/2020: Kaushik: Organize the nature and timing of the effort to create an automated mechanism to give US-requested additional production priority access to US non-pledged resources. On hold - manual system works just fine for now

About This Site

Please note that this site is a content mirror of the BNL US ATLAS TWiki. To edit the content of this page, click the Edit this page button at the top of the page and log in with your US ATLAS computing account name and password.


Powered by TWiki
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback